Here comes a promising film, being brought to you by the great Severin Films. After much demand, it will have a limited release which should be a lot of fun. Read more below:
‘BIRDEMIC: SHOCK AND TERROR’
TO PREMIERE IN THEATERS
THROUGHOUT NORTH AMERICA
Come See What the New York Times Calls “A High Flying Cult Hit!” and What ABC News with Diane Sawyer Calls “A Cult Cinema Sensation!”
NEW YORK, NY, April 13, 2010 – On the heels of sold-out screenings in Los Angeles, New York City and Austin, Severin Films (http://www.severin-films.com/
) today announced the highly-anticipated, North American tour of cult sensation, BIRDEMIC: SHOCK AND TERROR (www.birdemic.com). A video announcement can be viewed at http://vimeo.com/10899143. The film, which BBC says is "rapidly gaining cult hit status,” will screen at each of the following cities: Austin; Boston; Chicago; Cleveland; Dallas; Denver; Detroit; Houston; Los Angeles; Milwaukee; Minneapolis; Nashville; New Haven; New York City; Philadelphia; Phoenix; Portland; Richmond; San Francisco; Seattle, Toronto and Washington, DC. A schedule, including times, locations and ticket information can be accessed at www.birdemic.com/screenings/ and at the bottom of this press release. A trailer for BIRDEMIC can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=YnNvBucoNSY. Press can RSVP by emailing birdemic@cornerstonepromotion. com.
“Severin Films has received countless emails and phone calls from fans across the continent, demanding that ‘BIRDEMIC: SHOCK AND TERROR’ be brought to their town,” said Carl Daft, CEO and co-founder of Severin Films. “We are very happy to announce that the greatest avian-based romantic thriller since THE BIRDS will be making its proper debut in theaters throughout North America. Our only concern is…who will survive?”
BIRDEMIC, described by Nguyen as “a romantic thriller,” is a horror/action/special-effects-
driven love story about a young couple trapped in a small Northern California town under siege by homicidal birds. BIRDEMIC also tackles topical issues of global warming, avian flu, world peace, organic living, sexual promiscuity and lavatory access.
Nguyen, a 42-year-old Vietnamese refugee, wrote, cast and shot the film over the course of four years using salary from his day job as a mid-level software salesman in Silicon Valley. The film pays homage to Hitchcock’s THE BIRDS via location shooting in Mission Bay, California, as well as an appearance by star of THE BIRDS Tippi Hedren (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Tippi_Hedren). When rejected for an official screening slot at Sundance, Nguyen spent eight days driving up and down the festival’s nearby streets in a van covered with fake birds, frozen blood and BIRDEMIC posters, while loudspeakers blared the sounds of eagle attacks and human screams. The tactic caught the attention of festival organizers, filmgoers and local police, as well as executives from Severin Films. Severin’s executives walked into a screening, took one look at Nguyen’s masterwork, and immediately locked up BIRDEMIC’s worldwide rights for the next twenty years. Discussions are currently underway for Severin to add an additional thirty years to the initial agreement.
Fans can connect with BIRDEMIC on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/
birdemic), Twitter (http://twitter.com/birdemic) and the Web (www.birdemic.com).
· April 16th -- LOS ANGELES, CA -- Cinefamily @ The Silent Movie Theater
· April 16th & 17th -- WASHINGTON, DC -- E Street Theater
· April 23rd -- PORTLAND, OR -- The Bridgetown Comedy Festival @ The Baghdad!
· April 23rd & 24th -- DENVER, CO -- Esquire Theater (Director James Nguyen in person 4/24!)
· April 23rd-25th, 28th -- DETROIT, MI -- The Burton Theater
· April 23rd & 24th -- RICHMOND, VA -- Bowtie Cinemas
· April 30th & May 1st -- SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- The Roxie Theater (Official Bay Area Premiere) *James Nguyen and Cast of BIRDEMIC in Attendance*
· April 30th-May 6th -- PORTLAND, OR -- The Clinton Street Theater
· May 7th & 8th -- NEW HAVEN, CT -- Bowties Cinemas @ The Criterion
· May 8th -- PHILADELPHIA, PA -- Ritz East Theater
· May 14th & 15th -- NASHVILLE, TN -- The Belcourt Theater
· May 15th -- MILWAUKEE, WI -- The Oriental Theater
· May 19th -- AUSTIN, TX -- Alamo Drafthouse Ritz
· May 21st & 22nd -- MINNEAPOLIS, MN -- The Uptown Theater
· May 21st & 22nd -- HOUSTON, TX -- River Oaks Theater
· May 21st & 22nd -- COLUMBUS, OH -- -- The Drexel Theater (Midnight screenings!)
· June 4th & 5th --- DALLAS, TX -- The Inwood Theater
· June 4th - 6th -- BOSTON, MA -- The Brattle Theatre
· June 11th & 12th -- CLEVELAND, OH -- The Cleveland Cinematheque
· June 15th, 18th & 20th -- ATLANTA, GA -- The Plaza Theater
· June 16th -- AUSTIN, TX -- Alamo Drafthouse Ritz
· June 18th & 19th -- CHICAGO, IL -- The Music Box Theater – *James Nguyen in Attendance* (Presented by Bloody-Disgusting.com)
· June 25th & 26th -- SEATTLE, WA -- The Egyptian Theater
- July 16th & 17th – TUCSON, AZ –The Loft Cinema
About Severin Films
Severin Films was formed in May 2006 with offices in Los Angeles and London. Hailed as “cheerfully perverse folks” by the New York Times, the label is dedicated to restoring and releasing the most provocative and controversial features from around the world for DVD and Blu-ray. Their previous successes include Enzo Castellari’s original action classic THE INGLORIOUS BASTARDS; Richard Stanley’s HARDWARE; THE SINFUL DWARF; lifetime Goya Award winner Jess Franco’s MACUMBA SEXUAL and BLOODY MOON; Walerian Borowczyk’s IMMORAL WOMEN; the unrated Director’s Cut of GWENDOLINE starring Tawny Kitaen; and Oscar® nominee Patrice Leconte’s international hits THE HAIRDRESSER’S HUSBAND and THE PERFUME OF YVONNE.